The original building, built in 1936 as a neighborhood school, had several additions and been modified significantly to be used an Armory by the US Army Reserves.  The school serves infants through high school students, so the various wings were designed to create a progression through the building as students grow in the program.  Program elements included: child care rooms, classroom spaces, cafeteria and kitchen, gymnasium, auditorium, library, offices, and coffee bar.